Bube Hannah Sandusky Reunion
Date: August 7 & 8, 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
- Saturday August 7, 6 p.m. dinner at
Rodef Shalom Congregation, 4905 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA. 15213
- Directions are available at http://rodefshalom.org/directions/
- It is just over 1 mile from the hotel to the dinner. You can ask for directions at the hotel or check Google Maps. Be aware that the return trip may vary slightly due to one way streets.
- The hotel has a free shuttle to local destinations, including Rodef Sahlom, which runs from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Diana Raphael Carver, who is staying at the hotel, will coordinate the shuttle to the dinner.
- Saturday (1-3pm): visit the Senator John Heinz History Center to see the Jewish archives.
Directions from hotel.
Parking information and map (print this out).
- Saturday (shortly after 3pm): visit The Midwife Center (20 minute tour with Q&A).
Directions from Heinz History Center:
The Midwife Center in Pittsburgh carries on Bubbe Hannah's work of providing
safe gynecological care, prenatal care and childbirth in a warm and
supportive environment. The
Bubbe Hannah Fund
was started by Alex, Cathy
and Margaret Raphael in memory of their great-grandmother. It supports the
care of low income women. Please come on a tour.
See an 8 minute video about the center here.
- Sunday (10am): visit
Beth Hamedrash Hagadol-Beth Jacob Cemetery,
McKees Rocks, PA to see the graves of Hannah and Louis Sandusky and
many other family members. Let us know if you are interested in this
excursion. We are looking into arranging car pools or possibly
chartering a small bus. For those not familiar with this cemetery, be
aware that you will be climbing up and down a steep hill. Directions from hotel (allow 30 minutes).
- Please let us know what else you would like to see here. Ideas may be sent to Miriam Baker at email@example.com.
- Address: 3454 Forbes Ave. Pittsburgh, PA
- Phone: 412-683-2040 (the hotel's direct number) or 877-999-3223
for reservations. Ask for the front desk and then ask for "group
block". Don't ask for reservations or they will transfer you to some
off site number with no info regarding groups.
- Details: Make your reservation by July 8 and mention "Bube Hannah Sandusky Reunion" to get the group rate of $129 per night for a double or deluxe king, $179 per night for a suite (not including 14% room tax). (This rate definitely applies to Friday and Saturday nights. The contract says it also applies for three days before and three days after these dates, but you should confirm this if you are planning an extended stay.) If there is any problem, ask to speak with Stephanie Fuchs, the Sales Manager.
- Parking: Valet parking is $17.00 per vehicle per night, based upon availability and cannot be guaranteed. The hotel's onsite parking garage cannot accommodate vehicles over 6'2". Alternate parking is available in the area.
- Transportation from Airport: Airport Shuttle $22.00 per person; Taxi runs about $38.00; Port Authority of Allegheny County Bus $2.75 per person (http://www.portauthority.org/PAAC/tabid/241/default.aspx for details).
- If you eat breakfast at the hotel on Saturday or Sunday, ask the hostess if there is an area reserved for the Sandusky reunion.
- Hotel Web Site: www.pittsburghpawyndham.com