Relay The Orbit
|Authors:||Clark Baker, Lisa Greenleaf|
|Music:||32 bars of moderate tempo (not faster than 120 BPM)|
|A1||(8) Men Allem L 1-1/2|
|(8) Swing opposite woman (end facing partner)|
|A2||(8) Ladies chain with a power turn|
|(8) Pass The Ocean (Pass Through To A Wavy Line); Balance R and L|
|B1||(16) Relay The Deucey|
|B2||(16) Box The Gnat with partner; Swing (face direction)|
- This dance uses Relay The Deucey which is a rather complicated
MWSD figure. We have been unsuccessful at teaching this move to an
experienced contra group using a typical contra pre-dance walkthru.
The dance may only be appropriate with a MWSD group who also contra
dances, or in a setting where a longer teach will be acceptable.
- After they are lined up: Bow to your partner, acknowledge shadow
couple in line--you will be traveling with them, so if you get lost,
look for them!
- Note your facing direction. The women are the anchors in this
dance and must point the men in the correct direction. (In most 4x4's
the men are the anchors which makes sense as they anchor the swings.)
- MWSD dancers aren't used to doing a swing into a ladies chain.
The two problem areas are stopping the swing facing in the correct
direction, and checking the ladies momentum so she can start the
- The timing on the ladies chain with the power turn is tight so
twirls aren't a good idea.
- Relay The Deucey is a wonderful 8-dancer call similar to Orbit The
Wave but with more dancers and a longer action. It is a series of arm
turn for most dancers while others orbit around the set. There are
several ways of teaching it and several ways dancers remember it. Be
sure that the dancers use contra arm turns ("turkey wing") and are
"connected". More information can be found
Animations can be found
Teaching hints can be found
- We have used this dance with great success with a group of MWSD
many of whom contra dance. It was zesty and we did not tire of doing
so many Relay The Deuceys -- we were in a contra dance mindset.
- We would be interested in hearing your experiences leading this dance.
Revised: $Date: 2009/12/16 23:43:46 $
Free counters provided by Andale.